Important note: If you plan to use your laptop's wired (Ethernet) interface for network access in the dorms, we strongly recommend that you configure and activate the wired network interface first.
Basic Requirements for Successful Connection
- These instructions are written for Windows 8 Enterprise.
- Your computer must have a Wi-Fi card.
- To activate your laptop's wireless access you must be in an area of the CSE campus with wireless service.
- You will need Your CSE Account username and password to log onto the network.
To Make Sure Your Laptop Meets Requirements
- Update your wireless card drivers. Many Wi-Fi cards, even those in new laptops, require a driver update to work correctly and provide the best Wi-Fi service.
- Go to Windows Update Page to download the latest software for your wireless card. You can also go to your laptop manufacturer's page and search for the drivers to your wireless card. You must be connected to the Internet with an Ethernet cable to download the software.
- After installation is complete, remove the Ethernet cable.
- Make sure you are currently in an area of the CSE campus with Wi-Fi service.
To Configure and Enable the Wi-Fi Connection
- On the Start screen, hover your cursor at the bottom left of the screen. The windows icon would appear and when it does, right click on it which would give you further options. (Figure 1)
- Click on the Control Panel option.
- Click on the Network and Sharing Center. (Figure 2)
- Click on Setup a new connection or network. (Figure 3)
- Select Manually connect to a wireless network and then click on Next. (Figure 4)
- When prompted to Enter Information for the Wireless Network you want to add, enter these credentials. (Figure 5)
- Network Name: cse (case-sensitive)
- Security Type: WAP2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES
- Click on Next.
- Click on Change connection settings. (Figure 6)
- Under the Security tab on cse Network Properties, make sure Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP) is selected as your authentication method. Click on Settings. (Figure 7)
- The Protected EAP Properties settings box will appear. Check the "DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA" box, under Select Authentication Method make sure Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP c2) is selected, then click on Configure (Figure 8)
- Remove the check on the option for Automatically use my Windows logon name and password, and click OK (Figure 9).
- This will bring you back to the Protected EAP Properties window. Click on OK.
- This will bring you back to cse Wi-Fi Properties. Click on Advanced Settings (Figure 10).
Under Advanced Settings, select these options (Figure 11):
- Check Specify Authentication Mode.
- Expand the pull down menu and select User Authentication, then click on Save Credentials.
- Click OK to apply settings, and click OK until the remaining windows are closed.
- A popup window may appear by your system tray requesting further information to complete the connection. If so, click on the window and enter your CSE Account username and password, and then click OK.
- If the popup window does not appear, click on your Wi-Fi icon (Figure 12)
- Disconnect from any active wireless networks, and then connect to CSE network. Enter your CSE Account username and password if prompted, and then click OK. (Figure 13)
- Success! You can now use the CSE Wi-Fi to securely browse the internet.