Important note: If you plan to use your laptop's wired (Ethernet) interface for network access in the dorms, we strongly recommend that you configure and activate the wired network interface first.
Basic Requirements for Successful Connection
- These instructions are written for Windows 7 Enterprise.
- Your computer must have a Wi-Fi card.
- To activate your laptop's wireless access you must be in an area of the CSE campus with wireless service.
- You will need Your CSE Account username and password to log onto the network.
To Make Sure Your Laptop Meets Requirements
- Update your wireless card drivers. Many Wi-Fi cards, even those in new laptops, require a driver update to work correctly and provide the best Wi-Fi service.
- Go to Windows Update Page to download the latest software for your wireless card. You can also go to your laptop manufacturer's page and search for the drivers to your wireless card. You must be connected to the Internet with an Ethernet cable to download the software.
- After installation is complete, remove the Ethernet cable.
- Make sure you are currently in an area of the CSE campus with Wi-Fi service.
To Configure and Enable the Wi-Fi Connection
- Click on the Network Icon on your desktop to open up your network settings control panel (Figure 1).
- Click on Network Sharing Center (Figure 2).
- Under the Network Sharing Center Window, click on Manage Wireless Networks (Figure 3).
- Click on Add to add CSE as your wireless network (Figure 4).
- Click on Manually Create a Network Profile (Figure 5).
- When prompted to Enter Information for the Wireless Network you want to add, enter these credentials (refer to Figure 6):
- Network Name: cse (case-sensitive)
- Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES
- Click NEXT to go to the next step
- Click on Change Connection Settings (Figure 7).
- Under the Security tab on cse Network Properties, make sure Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP) is selected as your authentication method. Click on Settings (Figure 8).
- The Protected EAP Properties settings box will appear. Check the "DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA" box, under Select Authentication Method make sure Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP c2) is selected, then click on Configure (Figure 9).
- Uncheck the option for Automatically use my Windows logon name and password, and click OK (Figure 10).
- This will bring you back to the Protected EAP Properties window. Click on OK.
- This will bring you back to cse Wi-Fi Properties. Click on Advanced Settings (Figure 11).
- Under Advanced Settings, select these options (Figure 12):
- Check Specify Authentication Mode
- Expand the pull down menu and select User Authentication, then click on Save Credentials.
- Click OK to apply settings, and click OK until the remaining windows are closed.
- A popup window may appear by your system tray requesting further information to complete the connection. If so, click on the window and enter your CSE Account username and password, and then click OK. (Figure 13)
- If the popup window does not appear, click on your Wi-Fi icon in your system tray, disconnect from any active wireless networks, then connect to CSE. (Figure 14).
- Enter your CSE Account username and password if prompted, then click OK. (Figure 15).
- Success! You can now use the CSE Wi-Fi to securely browse the internet.