Skip to main content
International and Multicultural Affairs - Prospective Students - FAQs - College of Saint Elizabeth
Main Menu
Additional Menu

Prospective Students - FAQs

Application Process

What is the difference between the Undergraduate, Graduate and Continuing Studies programs?

The Undergraduate program is designed for traditional-aged full-time students – generally 18 to 23 years old. Undergraduate students get first priority for dormitory space.

The Continuing Studies program is designed for undergraduates of non-traditional age, generally 24 years old and up.

The Graduate Program offers Master's degrees, post-baccalaureate certificates and two doctoral programs (Psy.D. and Ed.D.).

Which standardized tests does the College of Saint Elizabeth require?

For international students applying to the Undergraduate or to the Graduate Program, the College of Saint Elizabeth requires TOEFL scores or their equivalent (e.g. IELTS).

Applicants to the Continuing Studies program are not required to submit TOEFL scores, but must provide some evidence of English ability

Students applying for undergraduate scholarships are required to submit SAT scores.

Are SAT tests required for undergraduates?

SAT scores are not required for international applicants to any college, but are required for students seeking undergraduate scholarships.

Is it necessary to take a TOEFL exam for entrance to the College?

For international students applying to the Undergraduate or to the Graduate Program, the College of Saint Elizabeth requires TOEFL scores or their equivalent (e.g. IELTS).

Applicants to the Continuing Studies program are not required to submit TOEFL scores, but must provide some evidence of English ability.

What level of English proficiency is required?

For applicants to the Undergraduate or to the Continuing Studies program, an acceptable level of English proficiency is required both for daily living and for academic success. English proficiency may be demonstrated in a number of ways, including exams (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS), interviews, or other institutional measures.

The Graduate Program requires a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper based) or its equivalent.

How can I receive more information about required entrance exams?

Test of English as a Foreign Language® (TOEFL®)
College of Saint Elizabeth Code: 2090

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Scholastic Aptitude Test® (SAT®)
College of Saint Elizabeth Code: 2090

How important are letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation are important in giving us a view of applicants beyond their "test scores and grades." For Graduate and traditional Undergraduate programs, letters of recommendation are required. Try to pick references who know you well, both as a student and as a person. Please note that letters of recommendation are not required for applicants to our undergraduate Continuing Studies program.

Is an interview necessary?

Interviews are not required for international students in most of our programs, but are required for the Graduate programs in Counseling Psychology and ACT. (There are several ways of handling this requirement for international applicants.) Contact or the graduate programs for more details.

Can I complete the international application online?

While some aspects of the application process can be done online, other aspects need to be completed and returned by standard mail (e.g., Application for a Form I-20). See Application Instructions for more details.

How can I get an application?

Our application papers are available for download here.

Transfer Admission

How many credits should a student complete before transferring?

There is no minimum number of transfer credits, except for applicants to our Fast Track programs. Click here for more information.

How many credits would I be able to transfer?

Undergraduates may transfer up to 96 credits; graduates may transfer up to 9 credits. Applicants to Graduate and Continuing Studies should have their transcripts evaluated by World Educational Services (WES). See for more information.

International Admission

What is the first step in the admission process for an international student?

The first step is to complete and submit the application form. See instructions for this.

What are the application due dates?

All programs at the College of Saint Elizabeth have rolling admission deadlines; but for international students, we strongly encourage applications no later than June 15 for Fall admission, and November 15 for Spring admission.

Please note that Undergraduate scholarship applicants should apply no later than March 1.

How long will it take for a decision to be made?

Decisions are made on a rolling basis and notification usually takes 4-6 weeks from the time an application is complete.

How can I apply for an F-1 student visa?

See visa application.

What are acceptable supporting financial documents for an I-20 application?

Generally, original documents such as bank statements or proof of income are required in applying for an I-20. In some cases, photocopies or faxes may be acceptable.

See instructions for a complete description of acceptable documents.

Financial Information

How much does it cost to attend the College? What is the cost of room and board on campus?

When will I receive a bill?

Bills are sent starting in July for the fall semester, and starting in November for the spring semester.

How can I pay my tuition bill?

You may pay by check or money order made payable to the College of Saint Elizabeth.

You may pay by electronic transfer. Click here for instructions on payment methods.

You may also make partial monthly payments, or a single credit card payment for an extra service fee.

When is my payment due?

Payment is due by the date shown on the invoice, or before the start of classes.

Does the College offer financial assistance? Are international students eligible for scholarships?

The Undergraduate program offers limited academic scholarships ranging from $3,000 to full tuition. There are also two full scholarships each year covering tuition, room and board, awarded only to first-year international students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate college.

For students in Graduate and Continuing Studies, few if any scholarships are available. All applicants will be considered for those that are available, however. Click here for more details on scholarships.

Is there a separate application form for scholarships?

There is no separate application form for any College of Saint Elizabeth scholarship. Students will be evaluated based on their application to the College, and do not need to complete any additional paperwork.

Graduate students wishing to apply for a Graduate Assistantship may do so only after completion of their first semester at the College of Saint Elizabeth. Students may request this application from the Graduate Program director's office during or after their first semester of full-time graduate study.


How big are classes?

Average class size is 15 students.

Who will be teaching my classes?

All classes are taught by College faculty members.

What majors does CSE offer?

Click here for undergraduate programs.

click here for more information on graduate programs.

Please note that due to New Jersey Department of Education regulations for teacher certification, international students may take only a restricted number of Education courses, and not a complete undergraduate major in Education. There are, however, no such restrictions on the study of Education at the graduate level.

What about internships?

Most departments provide the opportunity to do an internship. Visit the Career Services page for more information. See also employment for international students.

What is the mathematics placement test?

The Mathematics Skills Placement test is given to all incoming students, including U.S. students. The test has two sections: Arithmetic and Algebra. The arithmetical portion tests skills such as basic calculations, whole numbers, fractions, percentages, rates, geometry, etc. The algebraic section tests elementary Algebra. Each section has 35 multiple choice questions. The test is administered using a computer. Students with SAT scores above 540 are not required to take the test. Use of a calculator during the test is permitted but not necessary (please bring your own calculator if you want one). Notes and dictionaries are NOT permitted.

Student Life

What do students do outside of class?

The Office of Student Engagement sponsors many events for students. We also have a very active Center for Volunteerism and Service-Learning. Also, because the campus is near a train station, students can easily travel to nearby towns, or to New York City.

Do you have many clubs available for students?

Click here for a list of student clubs and organizations.

What sports and athletics do you offer?

The College has the following sports teams: basketball, cross country, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball. Visit for all the latest CSE sports news, team information and more.

We also have a weight room and many other facilities for recreational athletic activity.

Resident Students

Does the College of Saint Elizabeth offer housing to all students?

We have over 400 dormitory spaces available, most of them single rooms. Dorms are assigned to Undergraduate students first, and then, if available to Graduate and Continuing Studies students.

When is my housing deposit due?

To guarantee that you will have a dorm room, you must return your Housing Request Form by the end of May, and your housing deposit by mid June.

How will my room be selected for me?

The Housing Request Form includes many questions about your personal preferences and habits. These answers are used in assigning you to a particular room and roommate.

Can I choose my roommate?

If both you and your roommate list each other's names on your Housing Request Forms, Residence Life will try to put you together, but cannot guarantee doing so.

What should I bring with me to campus? (i.e. clothes, bed linens, etc.)

See Suggestion List for First-Time International Students.

When and where can I send my personal belongings? Should I ship them by air or ground?

You may ship some of your things ahead by sending them to:

(Your Name)
c/o International and Multicultural Affairs
College of Saint Elizabeth
Saint Joseph Hall
2 Convent Road
Morristown, NJ 07960-6989

Please allow sufficient time for items to reach the College.

When can I move into my room in the fall?

Returning international students are able to move into their rooms anytime after the start of New International Student Orientation – about 10 days before the start of the Fall semester – but must notify Residence Life in advance. First-time international students may move into the dorms at the start of New International Student Orientation.

Do I have to move out of my room during the breaks?

International students may stay in their dorm rooms throughout the school year, with two exceptions: They must leave their dorm rooms for about 14 days after the end of the fall semester (but do not need to remove their possessions); and must completely vacate the dormitory (except for items left in storage) for about 14 days just prior to the start of the fall semester. There is no extra charge for staying in the dorms during breaks in the regular academic year (i.e., from September to May). Housing from May to August is available at an extra weekly fee.

Am I required to be on a meal plan as a new student?

All dorm residents must have a school meal plan. Commuters are not required to do so.

When do I sign up for a meal plan?

You are given a meal plan automatically when you request housing on campus

Are microwaves allowed in the residence halls?

No cooking devices of any kind (including microwaves) are permitted in dorm rooms. Small kitchen areas (which have microwaves) are available on each floor in the dorms.

Other Questions

What is a social security card?

A Social Security card and number are used in the United States for taxation, employment, and banking purposes. When you reach the College of Saint Elizabeth, someone in the Office of International and Multicultural Affairs will help you get your own Social Security number if you need one. We sponsor trips to the local Social Security office at the start of each semester.

How do I get to campus from the airport?

If you tell us your arrival information, we will meet you at Newark Liberty International Airport when you first arrive. See our International Arrival Form.

How can I arrange transportation?

For subsequent airport travel, students typically take a taxi or use the train, which stops at the College's front gate. For day-to-day travel, students use the train, which runs directly to Manhattan in about one hour. The College also sponsors free trips to local shopping areas each Friday evening.

Do I need to purchase additional health insurance?

Undergraduate international students are required to purchase the College's health insurance. You can visit Health Services for more information on the current year's coverage. Graduate and Continuing Studies students may purchase the College's health insurance if they wish, but they must request this from the Business Office. All international students are required to have some form of health insurance.

What is the climate like in the Morristown, New Jersey area?

The weather in New Jersey varies from year to year. We are in the zone between the warmer south and the colder north, with no mountain ranges blocking north-south air movement. Thus, some years are warmer and other years are colder, but generally it is not very hot or very cold for too long.

Winter temperatures are generally around freezing from December to February – just above freezing during the day, and just below freezing at night. We often, though, have several weeks where the temperature never goes below freezing at all, and also another week or so where it never goes above freezing. We typically have one or two big snow storms per year (more than 15 cm), and four or five smaller storms (less than 4 cm); but we might have a winter with no snow at all, or a winter with snow every week. In any case, snow usually melts within a few days of when it falls since daytime winter temperatures are typically above freezing.

Spring is usually an abrupt change, and not the gradual transition it is in many temperate parts of the world. The weather can shift suddenly and then shift back again a few days later – cool to hot, hot to cool, then warm or hot again.

Our summers tend to be humid, with daytime temperatures from 20-30 C. There is often a week or so of daytime temperatures above 32 C, but this is not true every year.

Fall comes more gradually than spring, with a steady cooling of temperatures day after day. Sometimes there is a week of summer-like weather in late September or early October; but other than that, temperatures gradually tend to cool as winter approaches. Snow can fall as early as November, but generally does not come until late December or early January. With the ground still slightly warm from the summer weather, any early snow that falls (November, early December) usually melts as soon as it hits the ground.

Who We Are

Founded in 1899 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, the College of Saint Elizabeth has a strong tradition of concern for the poor, for developing leadership in a spirit of service and social responsibility, and a commitment to the promotion of women as full partners in society.

Learn More About CSE
Take a Virtual Tour
Visit SOC Website

College of Saint Elizabeth
2 Convent Road
Morristown, NJ 07960-6989

© 2018 College of Saint Elizabeth