Help Desk/User Services - Cyber Security
As a student or College employee, what you do online from your personal or College-owned computer can affect those around you and those you work with. It is important to be well educated in good Internet security practices and well-armed with updated computer security tools and software.
A very good online resource for learning how to protect yourself and your identity online is StaySafeOnline.org.
A brief summary of some best practices for Internet security include:
- Be suspicious of any email requesting that you "verify" your account details or click on any links to provide information.
- Delete any such emails where the FROM address does not end in "@cse.edu" or the links go to any website other than http://www.cse.edu.
- If the email appears valid, ALWAYS call the Help Desk at (973) 290-4015 to verify that it is a legitimate communication from the College before taking any action.
- Never give your CSE password to anyone, not even another College employee.
- If you think you may have succumbed to an email scam or suspect that you may be the target of fraudulent activity, immediately notify the Help Desk at (973) 290-4015 and reset your CSE account password.
- Always log out of computer lab computers and staff desktop computers when you are finished using them.
- Don't follow email links or pop-up ads that claim your computer is infected and offer anti-spyware software. These could be what is known as rogue anti-spyware programs and may actually contain spyware.