The VALE (Virtual Academic Library Environment) Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement is a cooperative onsite agreement among participating New Jersey colleges and universities. Under the agreement, faculty, staff and students from participating institutions who are in good standing at their home library qualify for onsite borrowing privileges at each other's libraries. Faculty, staff and students at the College of Saint Elizabeth can borrow library materials from participating members of the VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement. Outside faculty, staff and students from participating libraries may borrow books from the Mahoney Library at the College of Saint Elizabeth, subject to the rules outlined below.
CSE students, faculty & staff borrowing from VALE libraries
Consult the appropriate list below to determine if the library you are interested in visiting is a participant in the reciprocal borrowing program.
- Print and fill out the VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Form. Submit it to any of the following staff at the Mahoney Library: Robert Waks or Mark Ferguson. If you are applying for privileges at more than one library, you must fill out an individual form for each library. The staff will need to verify your standing and sign the form.
- Present the signed application form along with a photo ID to the appropriate contact at the participating library (See the appropriate list of participating libraries above – contacts are listed for each library). You will be issued borrowing privileges and/or a guest borrower card valid for one academic year, expiring June 30th.
- To renew your borrowing privileges, you must present a new application signed by one of the contacts listed above.
- You will be responsible for complying with the lending library's circulation policies, including loan periods, overdue fines, recalls, all replacement and processing fees, and for returning all borrowed items directly to the lending library.
Other VALE Members borrowing from Mahoney Library
- must be full-time faculty members, staff members or students (graduate or undergraduate) of a participating VALE institution.
- must present a valid photo ID and the original completed VALE Reciprocal Borrowing Application Form signed by the home library. Registration is valid through June 30th of each year.
- VALE Reciprocal Borrowers may have a total of ten (10) books checked out at a given time. Only circulating books may be borrowed for a loan period of twenty eight (28) days. No renewals are permitted. No videos or DVDs may be borrowed. Fines for overdue books are 20 cents per day, per book. Recalls are $1.00 per day after the recall due date.
- VALE Reciprocal Borrowers cannot place holds, recalls or interlibrary loan requests.
- The Reciprocal Borrower is responsible for the replacement of lost or damaged books. Lost or damaged books are subject to a $70.00 replacement fee and a $10.00 administrative handling fee. The Reciprocal Borrower is responsible for all fees incurred. Failure to pay fees and/or other abuses to borrowing privileges will result in future denial of service.
- All borrowed books must be returned to the Mahoney Library at the College of Saint Elizabeth.