Dr. Mary Chayko
Title: Professor and Program Chairperson
Office Building: Santa Maria Hall
Floor: First Floor
- SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 201 Social Problems
- SOC 251 Sociology of the Family
- SOC 331 Race, Class and Gender
- SOC 261 Social Change
- SOC 371 Sociological Theory
- Ph.D. Sociology
- M.A. Sociology
- Ed.M. Counseling Psychology
Seton Hall University
- B.A. Communication and Psychology
Center for Mobile Communication Studies, Rutgers School of Communication, Information and Library Science, Rutgers University
- The impact of technology on society
- Social connectedness and identity in the modern world
- Public sociology and service learning
Pioneers of Public Sociology: Thirty Years of Humanity and Society (2010, Sloan Publishing, with Corey Dolgon)
Read the preface here
News Release: Pioneers of Public Sociology
Portable Communities: The Social Dynamics of Online and Mobile Connectedness (2008, SUNY Press)
Read a selection from "Portable Communities" here
News Release: Portable Communities
Connecting: How We Form Social Bonds and Communities in the Internet Age (2002, SUNY Press)
Read a selection from "Connecting" here
Selected Scholarly Presentations and Invited Talks
- “Pioneers of Public Sociology: Discussion with the Author.” Session at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Sociological Society, Philadelphia, PA, February 28, 2011.
- “Sociological Approaches to Understanding Television Viewing and Media Use.” Invited talk,Villanova University, Philadelphia, PA, February 27, 2011.
- “Creating Community 24/7.” Invited Talk, Department of Sociology and the Knowledge Media Design Institute, University of Toronto, November 11, 2010.
- “Pioneers of Public Sociology: Thirty Years of Humanity and Society.” Presentation at the annual meeting of the Association for Humanist Sociology, Santa Fe, NM, November 4, 2010.
- “Portable Communities: The Social Dynamics of Online and Mobile Connectedness.”Presentation at the Ed-Media World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia, and Telecommunications (Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education). Toronto, Canada, June 30, 2010.
- “Constant Contact: Life in the Portable Community.” Keynote address for annual meeting of the New Jersey Communication Association, Morristown, NJ, April 10, 2010.
- “Portable Communities: Source of Solidarity or Commodified Fad?” Presentation at the annual meeting of the Association for Humanist Sociology, New Orleans, LA, November 14, 2009.
- “Meet the Author: Portable Communities.” Session at the annual meeting of the Association for Humanist Sociology, New Orleans, LA, November 13, 2009.