David B. Tataw, Ph.D., MMIS, MPA, FACHE
Title: Chair and Associate Professor, Graduate Program in Health Care Management
Office Building: Henderson Hall
Biographical Summary Statement
- Ph. D, MPA University of Southern California, Los Angeles
- MA California State University, Los Angeles
- MMIS West Coast University, Los Angeles
- BA, Yaounde University, Cameroon
- Health Management
- Health Policy
- Community Health Promotion
PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Tataw, D. B. (In Press). Municipal Health Policy Making Through Operative Actions. A Case Study of Provider Capacity Reduction in a Public Safety-Net System. Social Work in Public Health. Accepted August, 2011
- Ekundayo, E., Tataw, D. B. (In Press) . Barriers to Prostrate Cancer Prevention and Community Recommended Health Education Strategies in an Urban African American Community in Jackson Mississippi. Social Work in Public Health . (Accepted June 2012).
- Tataw, D. B. , Ekundayo, E. (2012). Horizontal Participatory Planning in Prostate Cancer Prevention. An Analysis of The Mississippi Prostate Cancer Project. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment,22(6 ) ,733-754.
- Tataw D.B. (2012). Toward a Horizontal Participatory Implementation Approach for Community Health Programs Serving Vulnerable Populations. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 22(4), 421-425.
- Tataw, D.B., Ekundayo, E. (2012) Prostate Cancer Risk Factors, Care Utilization and Policy Options. Focus Group Findings from an Engagement with an African American Urban Community. American Journal of Health Studies, 27(1), 32-48
- Tataw, D.B. (2012). Toward Human Resource Management in Inter-professional Health Practice. Linking Organizational Culture, Group Identity and Individual Autonomy. International Journal of Health Planning and Management. Early view. wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/hpm.2098
- Tataw, D. B., Bazargan-Hejazi, S, James, F.W. (2011). Actualizing a Provider Alliance to Expand Health Services Access to a Low Income Urban Community. Participatory Planning and Implementation in Community Health. Social Work in Public Health, 26(7) 651-671
- Tataw, D. B. (2011). Provider Perceptions of the Social Work Environment and State of Pediatric Care in a Downsized Urban Academic Medical Center, Journal of Evidence Based Social Work, 8 (1), 275-293
- Tataw, D. B. (2011). The Second Market Failure Phenomenon in Safety-Net Health Systems. The case of a Municipal Academic Medical Center from 1980 to 2000, Social Work in Public Health,26(3), 294-321.
- Tataw, D.B. (2011). A Two-Dimensional Equity Proposal for Self-Sufficiency in Municipal Safety-Net Hospitals, Social Work in Public Health, 26 (2), 212-229
- Tataw, D. B. ( 2011). Payer-Provider Role Conflict in Municipal Safety-Net Health Systems. Public Administration and Management,16 (1), 46-74
- Tataw, D.B. (2011). Individual, Organizational, and Community Inter Professional Competencies for Education, Training, and Practice in Health and Social Care, Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 21(1), 1-24
- Tataw D. B., Rosa B. (2011). Municipal Health Policy Development, Planning and Implementation: Addressing Youth Risk Factors through Participatory Governance. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration , 33(4), 489-531
- Tataw D. B., Bazargan-Hejazi S, James FW. (2011). Health Services Utilization, Satisfaction, and Attachment to a Regular Source of Care among Participants in an Urban Health Provider Alliance. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 34(1), 1-33
- Tataw, D. B. (2010). A Community’s Perceptions of Pediatric Services in a Downsized Urban Public Hospital. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 20 (6), 711-720
- Tataw, D.B., Bazargan-Hejazi S., Patel, P. (2010). Voice and Trust as predictors of Parental Satisfaction with child health care services in a Head Start Sample. American Journal of Health Studies, 25(3), 129-137
- Tataw D. B., Bazargan-Hejazi, S. (2010). Impact of the Health Services Utilization Improvement Model on Self Efficacy and Satisfaction among a Head Start Population. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 33(2), 224-253
- Tataw, D. B. (2010). The Health Services Utilization Improvement Model (HUIM) As a Horizontal Participatory Implementation Program. American Journal of Health Studies, 25 (1), 60-71
- Tataw, D.B, James, F.W, Bazargan, S. H. (2009). The Preventive Health Education and Medical Home Project (PHEMHP). A Predictive and Contextual Model for Low Income Families. Social Work in Public Health, 24, (6), 490-510
- Tataw, D. B. Bazargan, S.H., Johnson, S. K., Rahman, L. Bean, X. (2007). The Health Services Utilization and Improvement Model (HUIM) for Head Start Families. Rationale, Design, and Implementation. American Journal of Health Studies, 22 (3), 148-159
- PUBLICATIONS IN PEER-REVIEWED PROCEEDINGS:
- Bazargan-Hejazi, S., Patel, P., Tataw, D.B. (2006) Factors Associated with Satisfaction with Health Care Among a Head Start Sample. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE MEDICINE • volume 54 supplement 1
- Tataw, D.B. (2001). Role Conflict and Organizational Performance in a Safety-Net Health System. In M. L. Wollan (Ed.). Proceedings of the Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management, Charleston, SC, 9, 148-153.
- Tataw, D.B. (2001). The impact of Value Orientation and Decision Making on Provider Obligations to the Pediatric Patient in a Public Corporate Health System. In H.P. Steeves (Ed.) Proceedings of the Annual Internationa l Conference on Promoting Business Ethics, Chicago, Illinois, 8, 125.
- PEER REVIEWED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS and PAPERS
- Tataw, D.B. , Stokes, E. (2012). Preparing Human Resource Professionals and Healthcare Managers to Lead Inter-professional Healthcare Practice. Competencies and Options for Integration into a Health Management Educational Program., 2012 AUPHA Annual Meeting Minneapolis, Minnesota, from May 31 - June 3
- Tataw, D. B., Sanders, B. A., Bazargan-Hejazi, S., James F.W. (2012). Parental Perceptions of Youth Risk Factors Five Years After a Municipal Youth and Family Master Plan. 2010 Focus Group Findings. Midwestern Political Science Annual Conference. Chicago Illinois. March 31 to April 2, 2012.
- Tataw, D.B.(2012). Using Permanent Teams in an undergraduate Public Affairs Course. Implementation and Evaluation. 2012 Edward C. Moore Symposium. IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana. March 2012.
- Tataw, D. B., Bazargan-Hejazi, S., James, F. W. (2011). Community Organization Five Years After The Pomona Youth and Master Plan. Midwestern Political Science Annual Conference. Chicago, Illinois. March 30 to April 2, 2011.
- Bazargan-Hejazi S., Pan D., Tataw, D. , Ahmadi A. (2010). Demographic profile of self-inflicted injury among Children and Adolescents in California: 1991-1999. International Society for Child and Adolescent Injury Prevention. Bristol, UK. September 10, 2010.
- Tataw, D. B. (April, 2010). Municipal Health Policy Development, Planning and Implementation: Addressing Youth Risk Factors through Participatory Governance. Western Political Science Association. San Francisco, April, 2010
- Tataw, D. B., Stokes, E. (2009). A Participatory Implementation Model for Collaborative Community Health Programs. 4th International Conference on Social Science Research Gaylord Opryland Resort, Nashville, TN
- Tataw, D, Bazargan S, Kima-Johnson, S. (2006). The Health Utilization Improvement Model (HUIM). Overcoming Service Barriers through Partnership and Collaboration. Presented at The Head Start 8th National Research Conference. Washington DC, June 26-28, 2006.
- Tataw, D, Bazargan S, Kima-Johnson, S. (2006), Beyond The Insurance Model. Health Care Access Solutions for Low Income Families. Presented at the Western Political Science Association Conference in Aburquque, New Mexico March 2006.
- Tataw, David (2005). Two-Dimensional Equity Model for Self Sufficiency in Safety-Net Hospitals. Presented at The International Conference on Social Science Research, Orlando, Florida, and December 4-6, 2005.
- Tataw, D (2002). Health Policy and Disparities in Child Health Financing. Presented at the National Medical Association Annual Convention. Honolulu. August 3-8, 2002
- Tataw, D. (2002) Did Policy Induce Market Failure? An Analysis of a Second Market Failure Phenomenon in a Public Safety-Net System. Presented at the Western Political Science Association Conference in Long Beach California. March 2002.
- Tataw, D (2001) Curriculum Development and Implementation for the Learner in Unconventional Educational Settings. Presented at the Western Organization and Management Teaching Conference in Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. February 23, 2001.
- Tataw, David (2001). Role Conflict and Organizational Performance in a Public Safety-Net Hospital. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Institute of Behavioral and Applied Management. Charleston, S. Carolina, November 7-10, 2001.
- Tataw, David (2001). The impact of value conflict on health services to underserved children at King/Drew Medical Center Los Angeles. Paper presented at the Eighth Annual Conference on Promoting Business Ethics. Chicago, October 24-26, 2001.