Dr. Christine G. Giacalone
Title: Assistant Professor
- University of Texas, Austin, TX: Ph.D. Romance Linguistics, 2008
- Dissertation Title: A Sociolinguistic Study of Language Contact of Lebanese Arabic and Brazilian Portuguese in São Paulo
- Middlebury College, Madrid, Spain: M.A. Spanish, 2002
- Mary Washington College, Fredericksburg, VA: B.A. Spanish, 2000
- College of Saint Elizabeth, Morristown, NJ, 2012-present
- Assistant Professor- World Cultures and Languages
- United States Military Academy, West Point, NY, 2008-2012
- Assistant Professor of Portuguese
- University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan, 2010
- Visiting Professor of Spanish Linguistics
- Recipient of Rotary International- Academic Teaching Grant
- University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, VA, 2005-2006
- Visiting Instructor of Spanish
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- Assistant Instructor of Portuguese and Spanish, 2003- 2008
Chapter in a book
- The Lebanese-Brazilian Checkpoint: Reconstruction of Identity post 2006 in Pilgrimage in the Age of Globalisation: Constructions of the Sacred and Secular in Late Modernity in. Nelia Hyndman Rizik. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 79-92. 2012.
- Giacalone, Guedri Christine, Joshua Enslen and Rebecca Jones-Kellogg. 2011. “The Portuguese Program at the United States Military Academy: Sixty-five years of tradition and transformation.159-189.” In Ensino de Português nos Estados Unidos: História, Desenvolvimento, Perspectivas José Marcelo Freitas de Luna (ed.), Jundiaí: Paco Editorial.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- “Perfect symmetry, simple geometry and complex thought: Beyond the bars lies a crossroads of cultures” Párrafo. UCLA.2012.
- “Variation in Loanword Adaptations in the Lebanese-Brazilian Community of Sao Paulo, Brazil” Proceedings from the e VII Annual UCLA Department of Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Conference, Los Angeles, Berkeley Electronic Press. 2012.
- “O Contato entre o Árabe e o Português em uma Comunidade Libanesa em São Paulo”. Revista Tiraz. 7, p. 56-67. 2011.
- “O Contato entre o Português e o Árabe no Líbano” Revista Chams. Ed. 214, p. 33-34. November 2010
- “A manutenção da língua árabe em comunidades libanesas no Brasil”. Revista Chams. Ed 209. June 2010 p. 49-50. Cristófaro-Silva, Thaïs; Almeida, Leonardo; Guedri, Christine. Perda de marca de plural no português brasileiro: contribuições da fonologia. In: Revista de Estudos da Linguagem, v. 15, n. 2, p. 207-228, Belo Horizonte, 2007.
- “Reencarnação da Palavra” Em Outras Palavras Middlebury, VT Ano 4, Numero 1, 7 de julho, 2006.
- Nearing Language Death: The Case of Sicilian in “From the Unity of Italians to the Unity of Italics: the Languages of Italicity Around the World. University of Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Implicit vs: Explicit Instruction in the Teaching of Intervocalic /s/ to Non-Native Portuguese Speakers “Ackerlind-Saldivar Mentorship Colloquium” 2011.
- A Perdida da Língua Arabe em Comunidades Libanesas de São Paulo, Brasil “Transnationality in the Luso-Hispanic World”, The VII Annual UCLA Department of Spanish and Portuguese Graduate Conference, Los Angeles, 2010
- Lebanese Arabic and Brazilian Portuguese in São Paulo-Language Maintenance and Variation, Latin American Studies Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2009
- Language Contact and Conflict in Lebanese Arabic and Brazilian Portuguese, International Colloquium on Change and Variation in Portuguese, Porto, 2007
- A Imutabilidade dos Papéis Associados à Confissão em O Casamento de Nelson Rodrigues, First Spanish and Portuguese International Discourse Conference, UT Austin, 2007
- Dois Romances Contemporâneos em conflito com a sociedade, 60th Annual Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, 2007
- O Catolicismo e a Igreja Evangélica em Conflito no Romance O Matador, Thirteenth Joseph Vélez Latin American Studies Conference at Baylor University, 2007
- Was that Spanish or Portuguese? A study of phonetic detail in cognates across language, 2nd Symposium on Portuguese for Spanish Speakers: Acquisition and Teaching at Stanford University, 2006
- Reflejo y Reflexión: La búsqueda de la Identidad a través del género literario, 5th Latin American Literatures and Cultures Conference Colorado Springs, 2006
- O Cancioneiro do Jõao Zorro-Um analisis do trabalho feito de Celso da Cunha, 14th Annual Graduate Student Colloquium at The University of Texas at Austin, 2005
- Phonological Traces in the Loss of a Plural Marker in Brazilian Portuguese, 35th Linguistic Symposium of Romance Linguistics (LSRL), 2005
- Breaking Stereotypes with Sociolinguistics, 14th Annual Symposium of Luso Brazilian Hispanic Linguistics and Literature at the University of Arizona, 2004
- Sticks and Stones may Break Their Bones and Words Will Never Feed Them: An analysis of discourse in Vidas Secas and A Hora da Estrela, 1st Conference of Texas, 2004
- “The Lebanese-Brazilian Checkpoint: Reconstruction of Identity post 2006” Columbia University, New York, 2011.
- “From AMAN to Amman- A Journey to Jordan” Rotary International, Amman, Jordan. 2010.
- “L2 Phonological Interference in the Acquisition of L3” Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 2009
- “Teaching Cadets in Context” Brazilian Military Academy Academia Militar das Agulhas Negras, Resende, Brazil, 2009
- “Teaching Portuguese to Cadets at West Point: An Overview and Strategies for Contextual Learning”, UMass- Dartmouth, Massachusetts, 2009
- Rotary International, Interpreter, Amman, Jordan, 2010
- Missionaries of Charity, Caregiver, Kolkata, India, 2008
- Luzadir Orphanage, Teacher, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 2004
- Mission to Mexico, Interpreter, Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, 2003
- Children’s Hospital, Interpreter, Richmond, Virginia, 2001
- Habitat for Humanity, Interpreter, Suchitoto, El Salvador, 1997