The College was first incorporated under New Jersey State laws on May 19, 1900, and the first baccalaureate degrees were granted on June 18, 1903. In 1905, the New York State Board of Regents extended to the College of Saint Elizabeth a formal certificate of registration of its degrees, confirming earlier approval of its programs stated in letters of 1899 and 1901.
In 1917, the Association of American Universities placed the College of Saint Elizabeth in its Approved List of Colleges and Universities, 96 in all, 17 for women, whose graduates were eligible for admission to the graduate schools of the 24 leading universities comprising the membership of the Association.
The College was included also in the first published list of accredited colleges issued by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education – an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation – in 1921, and it has continuously maintained such accreditation with the most recent re-affirmation in 2016. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is located at:
3624 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2680
Telephone: (215) 662-5606
(For special professional accreditation see each department.)
The Office of the President maintains copies of all accreditation and approvals. An appointment with that office may be made to review these documents.